Kirton Point Primary School has endeavoured to meet the social and emotional needs of students through a Community Mentoring Program. Trained mentors are matched and work one-on-one with identified students on a weekly basis. Mentors establish a trusting relationship with the students and engage in activities of mutual interest. They provide positive role models, encouragement and support for students to be the best they can be and set positive goals for the future. All mentors are trained in Reporting Abuse and Neglect and have active police checks.
Communication with the Community
Students are encouraged to care for our planet by recycling whenever possible. There are three recycling schemes operating:
- Each classroom has a plastic container for recyclables which attract a refund. These containers are regularly emptied into yellow recycle bins which are taken to the local Recycling Centre. Blue containers in classrooms and large green labelled bins outdoors are for other recyclable materials. A large white ‘skip’ near Room 19 is for cardboard. Red-topped bins in the yard are for general rubbish and non-recyclable materials.
- Ink cartridges (printer and photocopier) are collected and recycled through the ‘Close the Loop’ scheme.
- Mobile phones are sent to be refurbished and resold or broken down into their constituent parts for recycling. All funds from refurbished phones will be used to build youth cancer centres around Australia
Local Community links:
- Port Lincoln Junior Primary School
- Port Lincoln Primary School
- Port Lincoln High School
- Port Lincoln Special School
- Lincoln Gardens Primary School
- Poonindie Community Learning Centre
- Lake Wangary Primary School
- Port Lincoln Visitor Information Centre
Local visitor information centre website offering information about accommodation, attractions, events and other local tourist information.
- Port Lincoln Business Directory
Business directory of all local businesses and local area information. Offers links to business websites.
- Port Lincoln Library
Port Lincoln Public Library website
- Tunarama Festival
Website it offers information about events, activities, history of Tunarama and other information.
- Port Lincoln Civic Hall – Nautilus TheatreHistory, information, performance calendar and pictures of the Nautilus theatre.